Friday 7 May 2010

plugged

did you know that while a fetus floats around in utero, it makes poop?

this poop, is called MECONIUM. unlike normal poop however, meconium, is odorless and is blackish in colour, viscous and sticky like tar, and almost sterile as it is largely made up of stuff the fetus ingested, e.g epithelial cells, amniotic fluid, mucus and lanugo (which btw is fetal hair...also seen in teratomas). 


normally, it is stored in the fetus's intestines and excreted postpartum. sometimes it is expelled into the amniotic fluid or during labour (i suppose when this happens, the fetus is literally scared shitless about coming out into the world...hee~).

if a newborn fails to poop out its meconium within 48 hours, you should immediately be worried about two things: Hirschsprung's disease and cystic fibrosis.

Hirschsprung's disease is a condition where the enteric plexus ganglions are absent causing a lack of peristalsis, which leads to obstruction and then dilation of the colon up to the formation of megacolon.

in cystic fibrosis, the meconium is thickened and it congests the lumen of the intestines, a condition known as meconium ileus. this is often the first sign of cystic fibrosis.

the area proximal to the area of obstruction caused by meconium is distended and the infant will present with a distended stomach and vomiting.

a negative digital rectum pretty much confirms Hirschsprung's disease. mind you, it can also be a sign that the baby did poop out something, but you just missed it...so you would need to assess then whether or not the baby is excreting normal poop now that it has started being fed milk and if that's a negative as well, along with the other symptoms mentioned above, you'll need to first work on emptying the baby's obstructed bowel and then getting a confirmatory biopsy and referring the case to a surgeon.

for cystic fibrosis, the parent may complain that the infant tastes 'salty' when they kiss its skin. however, only 20% of cases of cystic fibrosis present at infancy with meconium ileus. most of the time, the symptoms appear later on in childhood, with respiratory problems and symptoms of malabsorbtion.

1 comment:

  1. Chemicals used in industries gives me Leukemia Cancer and it's all started when I wanted to get off my job to get another job that when I got diagnose, at that very point I was so scared to die because it has infected my blood cells also I was prescribed drugs like Cyclophosphamide,Busulfan,Bosutinib,Cytarabine, Cytosar-U (Cytarabine),Dasatinib in all that was just to keep me waiting for my dying day. I got inspired by what I read from a lady called Tara Omar on blog spot on how Dr Itua cure her HIV/Aids then they were lettered below that says he can cure Cancer so I pick his contact on the testimony she wrote then I emailed Dr Itua hopefully he replied swiftly to my mail then I purchased his Herbal medicine also it was shipped to me here in Texas, I went to pick it at post office so he instructs me on how the treatment will take me three weeks to cure my Leukemia Disease, Joyfully I was cured by this Dr Itua Herbal Medicine.
    I will advise you too to give a try to Dr Itua Herbal Medicine with the following diseases that he can help you cure forever___Diabetes, Herpes,HIV/Aids, Bladder Cancer, Breast Cancer, Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Vaginal Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Lung Cancer, Skin Cancer, Uterine Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Colo_Rectal Cancer, Leukemia Cancer, Hepatitis, Brain Tumors, Tach Disease,Love Spell, Infertility, Hpv. GoodLuck,XoXo****
    Dr Itua Contact Information:::
    Email (drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com)
    WhatsApp-(+2348149277967)  

    ReplyDelete